Since January 2011, I am in an assignment to set up a project office for a global player in the metal industry.
Current Situation: Good Company, good management, good culture. The management is aware of the necessary change from product focus towards dedication to client needs and demands. To achieve the best possible client focus, project management and lean manufacturing was initiated almost 18 month ago. So far the company adapted lean tools (not behaviour) for the production floor and developed a project management tool in the company-wide lotus notes environment. The project managers did receive a short introduction into the system but not into project management at all. Dez. 31 2010 60% off all projects are showing major deviation.
Objectives: Set up a project office within 3 month, which is sustainable.
Chosen approach: Analyze current state (Project Portfolio). Develop future state. Set KPIs to track improvements. Write SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) to standardize and sustain project office management tasks. Enable and engage Project Manager by giving guidance and support to get projects on track. Divide activities in tasks chewable for project managers and project sponsors (1. Time Management, 2. Data Quality Management, 3. Financial Management). Find and train successor. Hand-over Project Office.
Dimensions: 277 Project Managers, 135 Project Sponsors, 469 „running Projects“ in the System
Results within 17 working days:
- 90% of all Projects are „on track“ (time wise managed). 7.1.2011 = 60% of all projects with major deviation; 28.1.2011 = only 4.2% of all projects major deviation.
- 103 active Projects has been completed/deleted (dead projects) but the total number of active projects has not been cannibalized (+/- 5 projects)
- 42 Projects has been resurrected, more than 60 new projects launched
- All 277 project manager and 135 project sponsor are aware of status „red“ as an escalation signal.
- System and process have been analyzed and more than 30 process and system improvements has been identified.
- Reporting (System extraction) has been extended
- Measurement process has been defined and described (Standard Operating Procedure – SOP)
- The root causes for major deviation have been identified.
- A Project Office Improvement Tracking Board has been installed